Christmas Music I love....



Last week for relief society we had a progressive dinner to celebrate the birth of Christ AKA Christmas. The sisters did a great job with the dinner. At each home we went to we had part of our dinner and the hostess of the house had one member of the nativity to talk about. At the first home we went to Carolee talked about Mary and afterwards she played a song that I was amazed I had never heard because I instantly loved it. I asked about the song and they told me it was Amy Grant. I told my friend I was amazed that I had never heard it and she said she had and even that it was played on the radio. Hmmmm I thought. I remembered that I even had an Amy Grant Christmas CD at home on the mediaserver. I went home and looked at the tracklist the next day and sure enough there was the song, Breath Of Heaven, Mary's Song. NUTS! I absolutely love it and wanted to share. So it is above set to a video of The Nativity movie. Please enjoy it and really listen to the words, they are very powerful.

Everyone who knows me knows that I love Christmas music (well, all music but..) Some of my favorite songs have to do with Mary and the baby because I love babies. I have had 4 little babies at Christmas time and there is nothing to me like sitting in front of the tree at night nursing a small baby, listening to beautiful music and reflecting on how Mary must have felt as she did the same with her treasured son, well..without the tree and music. But the wonder of a newborn child never ceases to amaze me and in this season more than most I tend to really reflect on that. I love the song, Mary, Did You Know. I know it is cliche but I love it. I was happy to find this Breath of Heaven song. Since I am on the subject I guess I will share my favorite songs. If you are reading please comment and tell me which songs/albums you like. Maybe I can add them to our rather vast collection!

Mary Did You Know (Clay Aiken version)
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel
Anything off Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong Album
What Child is This?
Little Altar Boy (sung by Karen Carpenter)
I Was Not His Father (Forgotten Carols)
Breath of Heaven, (Mary's Song)
Believe
When Christmas Comes To Town
Coventry Carol (Alison Moyet)
Noel: Christmas Eve, 1913 (A Christmas Together Muppets and John Denver)
Ave Maria
Last Christmas performed by George Michael or Darren Hayes(Savage Garden)
Better Days, Goo Goo Dolls



Ok..so it occurs to me that I just really have a few favorite Christmas ALBUMS

Clay Aiken
The Christmas Collection, The Carpenters
Wintersong, Sarah McLachlan
The Forgotten Carols
A Christmas Together, John Denver and The Muppets
Aly and AJ (I know..I know..I have no idea why)
Brian Setzer
Jim Brickman
Narada
Mannheim Steamroller
When My Heart Finds Christmas, Harry Connick Jr.

So, If you do not have any of these CD's I highly suggest you pick them up! :D

Comments

Shannon said…
Breath of Heaven is probably my all-time favorite Christmas song. I also love Mary's Lullaby. Have you heard that one?
I also loved the song. I am way into Mary and Joseph this year and their feelings on what was happening with them. This song is just part of that.
I highly recommend that you read Two From Galilee. You will be touched by the story that she has written and fictionalized but still is probably accurate in many of the traditions and things of the times. For me the tenderness of this young couple to each other was just so touching. The Lord choose the best parents for His son and they must have been spectacular!
If you haven't seen the movie The Nativity which is where you got the song from you might want to rent it and share it on Christmas Eve. It is also excellent!
Melony said…
Shad and I just watched The Nativity last night actually and we did enjoy it. We have it. And yes, Shannon I do think I have heard Mary's Lullaby..have to go google it to remember!