Weighty matters.

Even if you do.
Right?

SO, anyone who knows me, or has ever read this blog knows that weight is my mountain.  I lost 154 pounds and kept it off for over two years.  Well, due to many circumstances(including CRAPPY, crappy health UGH!) I have put back on quite a bit of poundage.  I've decided recently (due to my self-hatred regarding this) that I am going to get healthy again.  It's never really been about the number on the scale or on the tag on my jeans but it's hard to not think and or fixate on this.  The bottom line is, right now...I'm a mess.  I'm unhappy with my life as it is and it's time to reclaim my control.  Being overweight is not good for me. Period.  End of story.

I wish it was easier.  I have SO many obstacles, more now than ever, but I am armed for the task and at this I MUST not fail.  I need to be the champion of my past. No. I WILL be the champion again. My weight is not WHO I am so why does it affect me SO much?  When I'm like this I feel like people cast quick judgments and even if they don't, I do it myself, for them.  I feel like I'm not worthy of friends.  Who would want to be my friend?  I feel like everyone else is better than me.  I feel like I embarrass my children and my husband because of the way I look.  I feel, well defeated.

The sad thing is..as hard as I try to not make this about the numbers my girls might believe otherwise.  They hear everything I say, but worse, they SEE.  This morning my four beautiful elementary school girls surrounded me at the breakfast table as I fought to get my MAJORLY unwanted bowl of oatmeal down.  Last time around I did a lot of things the wrong way.  I acknowledge that and think that is one of the reasons I believe, I never reached my goal weight.  I did a lot of just not eating, especially skipping breakfast.  I'm trying not to do that, and it's hard.  But anyway, I told my girls as I finished that I was going to get healthier if it killed me.  

At the sink as I washed my emptied bowl out I overheard my beautiful Jillian say, "Mommy wants to be skinny.  Skinny. Skinny. Skinny. That is good."  My heart broke a little.  I corrected her, "No, Jillian.  Mommy wants to be healthy.  I want a healthy heart."  I even went so far as to explain about your heart pumping and everything.  In the end I hope she heard me.  I don't want my girls to battle food the way that I do.  Every day. Every breath.  It's SO exhausting.   

So, how do you instill in your children the importance of being healthy without making it about weight?   When it comes down to it, it IS A LOT about weight.  How do I help them overcome this battle that I wage?  How do I change my own mind so that I believe it isn't just about the number as well.  I know they will hear what I say to them, but I know they will hear what I don't say to them even more.  And, at the end of the day, I'm trying to lose weight.

So, now that I've shared publicly my embarrassment at gaining to begin with I'm laying out some ground rules. If I write them here you(my 1 or 2 readers that is) can all hold me responsible. Right? 

RULE #1 NO skipping meals.
RULE #2 ABSOLUTELY NO skipping meals (AKA starving myself.)
RULE #3 See 1 and 2.

I wonder if you can tell what I did last time?  It is what it is.  I am not my past.  I am my future.  

PS....please comment.  I'd love to hear other people's opinion on this.

Comments

Aubrey said…
Oh love I know you can do it and I SO know how you feel. Weight is my mountain too. Always has been. It was hard being the chubby kid when my sister was 5'9" size 4 and I was 5'6" and size 13...

Kids latch on to these things and it can be hard but by doing better now we can show our girls that it's about health not the scale.

I have been trying to teach my Becca about eating healthy cause all she wants is junk and fruit...at least fruit is in there right?

Know that I AM your friend and you can talk to me anytime about this! Cause I know what it feels like! Hugs!
jvb1130 said…
I need to do this too. I went to a bariatric doctor for a while and lost 30 pounds, I still have the meal plan if you'd like it. And you actually get to EAT, I need to start back on it myself. So maybe, we can do it together?
Love you girl!! You're an inspiration to more than you think.
Amy Blair said…
Love this blog entry! It's so refreshing to read something that is real. I love that u r willing to share with us. Being positively perfect is so boring and fake and your imperfections are what I can relate to. Oh and just so u know whatever number u r on the scale you r still stuck with me as your friend! Ha! So don't try to gain weight as a way to get rid of me ;)
Sunny said…
Wow This kinda makes me glad I only have boys. They really do hear and see everything and they are very perceptive. Growing up with three girls in my family my mom never had a scale in the house because she didn't want us to be fixated with weight. Didn't always work but I hesitated having a scale in my house too so I guess some of it got through. Health is SOO much more important than being skinny anyway. You can be skinny and COMPLETELY unhealthy. POWER to you! I'm behind you all the way. Let's all get healthy.