French Braids



I am a mother of 6 daughters who never learned to do French Braids. I used to love to have them in my hair and my Mom would always do them for me. I have tried over the years with my girls to do them and have at least taught myself how. Yesterday morning while tryng to figure out what to do with Celia's hair for church I decided to give it a go. It actually turned out to look pretty cute and Celia was thrilled with them which is the important thing. I was proud of the way they turned out! They are a little messy but that would be hard to avoid with Celia even if I was a pro. Her hair just has a wispy fly-away quality to it.

On a completely unrelated note: Yesterday was church, of course...On Sunday mornings I like to listen to inspiring music. I was working with the girls on memorizing their articles of faith. Celia passed off two! She is now through 7. That and she knows several of the ones she hasn't officially passed off. Anyway, I tend as a Mom, to be so hard on myself in every aspect of what I do in my life but especially in how I parent my children. I hate that about myself because I do my best and I really should be happy with that and give myself a pat on the back every once in a while. There is this song on one of my CD's that I just want to share...I just feel it has such a good meaning whether you are a Latter-Day-Saint or a catholic or even none of the above it is a good reminder in life for all of us. Just remember to take it easy on yourself...do your best and be OK with that.

GENTLE words and music by Michael McLean

Like a gentle wind can blow the clouds from the sky
Like a gentle touch can ease the pain of goodbye
Like a gentle smile embraces, empty souls in lonely places
We should be more gentle with ourselves

Like the friend who gently builds us up when we're down
Like a gentle kiss can turn our world all around
We've been hurt by others often
We've forgiven and forgotten
We should be as gentle with ourselves

Life can be hard
But we need not be so hard on ourselves
If we will see

Like the shepherd leads His flock
with gentle commands
with His gentle voice that only hearts understand
One thing we can know for certain
He has borne the awful burden
So we can be gentle with ourselves...

One thing that I know for certain
He will bear my every burden

So I can be gentle with myself.

What is funny to me about this is what a simple concept it really is. Just know that you are enough. I am not a grudge holder and generally get over things rather quickly. I always try to believe that people have good intentions and I forgive easily. But with myself...one sin, one mistake and I can never let myself live it down. Why is that? Why do we hold ourselves to such a high standard when we do not expect it from those around us. The point here is that we need to relax and just try our best. That is all He has asked of me and really besides that all I should expect from myself. I shouldn't beat myself up over every single thing especially when a lot of thing are out of my control. Ok..so I guess consider this, my Sunday Sermon..I just thought it might be something that might help someone else..it certainly puts things into a perspective of sorts.

Enjoy your day! Ease up on Yourself!

Comments

Celia and French Braids! Wow what a combination!
Brings back nothing but great and wonderful memories for me! My sweet daughters and their hair.
By the way I am sure you haven't noticed in that you see Miss Celia everyday she is grwing up! Where is the little girl that I have known and loved? She is so pretty and is becoming quite a young lady!
MOM
Heidi said…
French braids are easier if their hair is wet. Then it makes it that much easier to do when it is dry after practicing on wet.

It is really difficult to be easier on ourselves. It is much easier to be understanding of others!
Melony said…
Thanks for the tip..I will have to try them wet!