Ortho time

Kenzie has begun her orthodontic journey. On Thursday of last week Dr. Tew (pictured above) put in the first part of her treatment. It is called a Rapid Palatal Expander. A lot of us have had these. I know I did. This one, however, has the metal part covered in acyrlic which fits over her top molars and is a flat surface there. She is having a really hard time eating due to the flat smooth surface on her upper molars and also food getting retained between the appliance and the roof of her mouth. I really hope that this goes fast because she is really not having fun with it...AT ALL. I think she is probably wishing for the actual braces part which comes next. I am not sure this stage will last but I hope it will be short and we can move on to the braces soon. We are not going to miss a single turn on the expander since she is wanting to get it off like yesterday. She is being a trooper but I feel bad since there is so little she feels she can actually eat right now. She is living on soup and Carnation Instant Breakfast. I have to give her credit though she ate a hotdog and last night had roast and carrots and mashed potatoes. Lets pray this goes FAST!!! I spoke with Dr. Tew on Friday about the eating difficulties and he said that he may be able to modify the appliance somewhat but feels that if she can get through it without doing that she will be better off in the long run...so we are trying to make it through!

Comments

I feel terrile for Mackenzie. Braces are not an easy thing and not enough good things are said about those that must endure. Just think Heidi did that twice and also had surgery. Wow she really is the woman.
Now about the pink, Mackenzie and I are convinced that you really love pink but have been suppressing it!
Melony said…
I don't think I have ever suppressed it. I do love pink...it's PRETTY!